Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

DIY: Will you be my bridesmaid invitation



You guys know that I'm engaged, so part of the wedding planning process was asking my best friends to be a part of the happiest day of my life!

I didn't want to just go up and ask them. I wanted to ask them in a more personal, and thoughtful way. 

So, I surfed the web for different ideas on how to do this, and I found a few cute one, but none of them were hitting the mark.

Will You Be My Bridesmaid/maid of honor?
Too simple
Will you be my bridesmaid?
Again, too simple

can't say i do without you...perhaps thinking differently, a little something to give your groom before the wedding....a gift, a note etc
I loved the idea of a treasure box, but I had to make 7 of them


So, when I saw these little dress boxes at goodwill (apparently, they are from the dollar store), I was flooded with ideas!

And this is what I came up with.

I liked the idea of giving them a fabric swatch for my wedding colors (which are constantly changing hehehe), so I decided to make a flower out of them.


I started by cutting many circles in my wedding colors. To make the "flowers" I folded each circle in 4 and run the corners through my sewing machine one after the other. I ended up with a string of 8 or so little circles (that looked more like triangles now). Then, I formed the shape of the flower and secured them in place (stitches or glue)


I made 7 of these "flowers" (I have 7 bridesmais)


Then I moved onto the little dresses.
I cut a square about 2 inches bigger all around than the cardboard dress form. I went to my sewing machine and sewed through the waist part of the dress gathering the fabric as I went. It took me about 5 minutes to sew all of them.

To finish them off, I tucked the sides of the dress in and hot glued them in place (to avoid as many fraying edges as possible.

This is what it looked like at this point (except without the ribbon.. thats where the gathering happened)

  

I glued the top of the dresses and cut the sweetheart shape.
Added the ribbon/lace, and then I moved on to the insides!


I basically just glued a personalized "letter" (which I found online) asking them to be my bridesmaids.. and, of couse, I couldn't forget the ring!


No comments:

Post a Comment