Pages

Thursday, November 14, 2013

White Sweater Refashion. Add length to a sweater or shirt



Hello everyone!

I hope you are having a wonderful day :)


Today, I wanted to share a little refashion tutorial that could come in handy when you have a shirt or sweater that you like, but happens to be too short.
See, I had this delicate white sweater perfect for winter (it has little snowflakes embroidered all over)


But it fit me kind of awkward and it was too short.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a friend wearing a baggy sweater with 3 layers of chiffon attached to the bottom; I thought it looked so delicate. It also made her look like she had tons of layers on, so I decided to take that idea and add some length to my awkward sweater..


For this refashion you will need about 1/4 of a yard of chiffon (you could also use lace for one of the layers to add even more texture!).



I started by cutting the chiffon in half the long way (I actually cut a small slip, and then tear the sides appart.. this helped give it a fraying look and kept the strips even)


I placed one of the strips on top of the other like so:

And then I folded them in half leaving about an each of space in between to get those layers.

Pin in place



All the way around the strip


I made sure that my end were even


And then I sewed about 1/8" from the folded edge (making sure I was sewing through all the layers) to keep them together


The last step I didn't get a picture of, but I basically just pinned the strip in place (at the bottom of the sweater) and sewed with a zig-zag stitch. I didn't know how much of the strip I would use because I knew the sweater would expand as I started sewing. So I decided to start sewing on one of the side seams, leving about 1/4" of the strip unattached, so that at the end, I could attach both edges and then cut the excess.

And this is what the finished product looks like!

 

I love it!!!

God bless, Aranza

No comments:

Post a Comment