Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Tutorial: DIY Christmas Trees (with fabric flowers)


Soooo, maybe next year I'll get better at posting Christmas decoration DIYs a month before Christmas

Meanwhile, here is a little tutorial for a very inexpensive and easy little Christmas tree. There's actually two versions (as seen in the above picture), but they both start the same way.

You will need:
 Cardstock (as big as you want your cone to be.. Mine are about 8" tall)
Tape
Glue gun and glue
1/4 yard of felt
Some creativity!

You have to make a cone with cardstock paper (like in geometry... Or the lazy and less a accurate way like me). 

Make the top part by cutting a "triangle" with a rounded bottom from a piece of paper, and the joining the edges and securing them with tape (preferifly clear)


Trace around the diameter of the cone like so


 And cut about 1cm around the marked circle


Proceed to cut little triangles out of the edges (like shown in the above picture) and the. Bending the flaps up like so:


Before taping the bottom to the top part of the cone, you can stuff it with newspaper or magazines to make it sturdier, but I didn't have any, so I slept that step..


And tadah! Here is the result for the naked cone
I should note that I used red cardstock to make the naked cones for the red trees so it wouldn't show too much.

The fun part begins now! 

I cut about 60 circles from 1"-2" in diameter and did a cut like shown in the picture below


I then proceeded to make "flowers" by twisting the felt on itself.. Like shown in the above picture.. Here is a close up


I started from the bottom and worked my way around adding different sized florettes making sure it didn't look too even
And I topped it off with a little ball made out of little circles.



For the second tree, I cut about a million and one little circles ranging anywhere from 1"- 2" in diameter and I used this technique to make it look like flowers


And here is the finished product for both!


I'm not gonna lie, the second technique took a looooong time to do (like, 2 hours..) The first one only about 15 minutes! (Once I had everything cut out and stuff)


God bless (And merry Christmas!!),
Aranza

No comments:

Post a Comment