Pages

Friday, April 19, 2013

DIY Ombre Shirt or Pants

So, I made this little tutorial a while back (spring 2012?) and I am finally putting it up!

I will teach you how to make anything ombre (gradient). I transformed a gray tank top and a pair of old gray pants into awesome ombre pieces!
First off, for the gray pants, I soaked them in a water/bleach solution (about 1/2 cup for 4 or 5 gallons of water.. Or read the label on the bleach bottle) I let them sit over night.. They turned out fine, but since I didn't move them at all, there were some parts that were still kind of gray (a very subtle tie-dye look), so I bleached them again and they were now off white... perfect for dying pink!

Here is the rest of the tutorial if you are starting out with an item that is already white OR like me, your item is a lighter color (gray) and you want to add a darker color.

1. Soak the whole piece of clothing in warm water (making sure is ALL wet!)..
2. Now, soak about 3/4 of the item in the bath, and pull it out slowly so about 1/2 of it is still in the bath.
Like so... This will give it a nice blending line

Let stand for 5 mins, mix for a few seconds (move the bottom of the shirt around in the dye bath, so you wont get fake "wrinkles" of dye)..
Dip 3/4" of the shirt once again..

Repeat these few steps 4-6 times..

Rinse, and wash..
If you like the result, you are done!!

And tada!
From a boring gray shirt, to a cool obre black and gray shirt...


And a brand new pair of pants!! Now I just have to take them in to make them skinnies..

No comments:

Post a Comment