Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

DIY: Fixing a Shirt that is Too Small

So, I bought this blouse a while ago. I really liked the texture and shape of it, but it was an extra small and, even though it fit, it just didn't look right.
The fabric would bunch up above my chest (as shown in these picture) and it just looked awkward.
 
 
So I got to work. And in the process, I made a little tutorial for you.
I ripped the seam allowances on the shoulders (like so)


Then I attached three 4 inch long strands of chain to the front shoulder seams, like so, making sure I stitched like crazy over the link (you know how some chains have open links? it's very easy for the thread to slip through there). If you can, use an upholstery thread.


I put the shirt back on and measured about how much chain I truly needed.. Only about 2 extra inches, so I cut the rest and finished up sewing the back.

I would recommend making the chains a little bit shorter as they get closer to your neck. This makes the fit better.


And here is the final product! No bunching at all!!! I love this blouse now..
And think of the possibilities!
You could also add lace instead, or ribbons..
That will be my next refashion
 

 
 
How have you altered shirts that are too small on you?
 
God bless,
Aranza



No comments:

Post a Comment